Wednesday, October 10, 2007

United Way 9K+ Run

I signed up for a run to benefit the United Way. The run took place over the lunch hour and was organized by a fellow in Customer Information Systems department. A bunch of us know each other from the annual Scotiabank YMCA runs. It started at 2201 Eglinton and down through Warden Woods park. I used to ride my bike through there as a kid so I haven't been down then in over 20 years! Not much has changed but it don't think it's safe to go there alone anymore. Unfortunately I did this run myself because I was delayed in a meeting.

There were some nice surprises along the course, like coming across some new parks and ravines I didn't realize existed in Scarborough. There are totally wide open and manicured parks but you wouldn't know it as most of us speed by the houses that obsure them along the way to work.


View Larger Map

Although it was a 9K run, I'm convinced I did 10K because I got lost a couple of times and had to run around some cul-de-sacs. I also wasn't thinking that I usually don't do 10K runs on weekdays especially when I have to return to work afterwards. The weather was nice and it was a good distraction from work.

One footnote: Some people are really clueless about some really basic things. Before I left for the run a coworker said to me, "10K run, it's cool out so you shouldn't sweat". I didn't say anything but I thought to myself that they obviously don't have any clue how far 10K is, and also they probably never did anything athletic in their life because even an Olympian would sweat after running 10K. I shouldn't have been all that surprised because in the morning I was getting some breakfast in the cafeteria (fruit and egg omelette) and they asked me why I needed to eat breakfast before a run.

No comments: