Monday, October 15, 2007

Motivation

I've been asked by a some people recently why I like to run. There are alot of reasons and many are really only shared between other runners, and are often unspoken. I still like to mountain bike but it requires to much prep time and unfortunately I can't just take off for an entire afternoon like I used to. So running works best these days.

I have a personal goal to run a full marathon next year and perhaps someday the Boston marathon. General Patton who also happened to be an Olympian (1912) says you have to make the mind run the body and never let the body tell the mind what to do. In order for that to work I believe you need motivation and that means realizing what is the driving force behind why I want to run that marathon.

Personal goals and accomplishment are factors. But my son is the biggest part of that motivation these days. I'd love him to be at the finish to greet me even if he is only 3 years old. And maybe one day he could say my Dad ran the Boston marathon.

It's cute how he says "run, run" when I pull out the pram. We have a great time on our runs together, it's really priceless.

No comments: