Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Cabinet Doors


At last I've finished a set of doors. These are the lower doors for the kitchen work center.

I opted in favor of using MDF (medium density fibre) rather than wood. That's because MDF mills down quite nice and is perfectly flat and moisture stable. It's also relatively cheap too, the downside it the amount of dust created. The one thing to watch out is since it's not wood it needs the raw edges sealed and properly primmed prior to painting.

I like the simple and classic lines. It 5 pieces and milled using a router and a reversible panel bit.

I purchased a Benjamin Moore product called Melamine. It's a very hard urethane white paint. It will be used as the final finish. The guy at the store raved about it. But instead of using a brush I'm planning on buy a small air sprayer from Lee Valley tools.

4 more doors to go.

No comments: