Monday, May 11, 2009

Mutha F'n Ants

I hate insects.

This year black ants seem to have made their way into my house.  Strangely though, I only see them in the second bedroom or the bathroom, where no food exists.  I tried the round ant traps but those are useless.

Fortunately I found a great low toxic recipe that seems to have worked.  
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons boric acid (Borax)
This concoction draws out all the worker ants, a really horrible sight.  I resisted the urge to blow torch them all, so that they could take the "kool-aid" back to the nest. Ants gorge and regurgitate their food back in the nest, so everyone including the queen ant dies.

My neighbours said they noticed a increase in ants this year as well.  

On a side note, Aidan has a playmate next door. They spend afternoons outside crushing ants with stones. I need to get them each larger stones.

No comments: