Friday, May 08, 2009

Beyond stupidity

Today Louis Caldera, Director of the White House Military Office resigned over the controversial low-altitude fly over by a Air Force One look alike.

It turns out Caldera was responsible for at least for notifying the White House Press Secretary and the Deputy Chief of staff, but he  failed to read an email about final plans because he left the office early. Hmm, another career ruined by email.

I would have guessed that the branches of US government would have detailed plans, protocols and checklists for such types of operations. I know in my line of work I have plans, checklists, walkthroughs so things don't go pear shaped.

I don't know if this is true, but I've also been told that the 3 days between when George Bush #1 told Saddam not to cross the line in the Kuwait desert and when the US planes actually attacked Baghdad, was due to a military SNAFU. Turns out that there was computer problem that prevented the different branches of the military from planning the bombing runs. I'll bet there were some pretty long nights and pizza dinners at the Pentagon to figure that one out.

No comments: