Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Big City - No variety

I'm working on replacing some baseboards in my home. I really can't stand the look of the run-of-the mill 3 inch high moulding found in all homes, it's thin and lacks character. I challenge you to find a newly built home, regardless of the price, where the builder hasn't used the same .49 cent/foot cheap mdf baseboard. The same boring stuff is used around windows too. I decided to go with a 5-1/4 high squared pine stock but top it off with a simple base cap. This style of baseboard and cap (or mopboard) was used in older traditional homes and you'd be surprised how such a minor detail can make a difference.

I was dismayed to discover that you can't find base-cap moulding anywhere. I went to the usual big box stores as well as some specialized lumber retailers specializing that in trim. It appears that the two piece baseboard has gone the way of the dodo because it's too time consuming to install and ultimately eats into the bottom line of the builder. Funny enough, you can readily find it in the US but I'm convinced Americans are more architecturally savvy. I mean most of the styles such Misson, Shaker and Federal all originated in the US, I can't think of anything in this regard that's pervasive and Canadian in nature; except for perhaps a beaver cap.

So I've been reduced to having to buy a moulding bit from Lee Valley so I can create my own stock. I don't mind doing that but it's really a pathetic state for the consumer where we're surrounded by ten thousand square feet building supply stores but they all carry the same old crap catering to the lowest common denominator.

1 comment:

andy J.S. Decepida said...

Well, Wallace... if the big-box stores don't offer them, it's because they don't sell at all. It's a vicious circle, I guess... and I agree, it is sad and pathetic. As you found out, the smaller stores don't carry them either for the same reason.