Sunday, July 26, 2009

Gasp, Blech. Toronto Parks during Strike

This Saturday I read an inspiring article in the Toronto Star (http://www.thestar.com/article/671679) about a summer tradition of running in the Don Valley, through the various park systems and tails.

I've biked the trails for years, on and off road, but this year I've been avoiding them because the Taylor Creek entrance by my house is a designated temporary garbage dump during the civic strike. However the article was inspiring enough for me to try a run this morning in the Don, except that I'd enter from Laird Ave, up by Eglinton. I figure a posh area like that would be safe from garbage but I would be dead wrong.

As I descended into the park everything was great, except the uncut grass and abnormal amount of weeds I was happy. I headed east through Sunnybrook towards Taylor Creek. 4 Runners approached from behind and I overheard them debating about whether to tough it out or detour. I didn't understand what they were referring to, until the stench hit me. Rotten food, diapers and god knows what else.

It turns out the Park's parking lot at Eglinton and Leslie is also a temporary dump. WTF! One of TOs beloved parks which usually hosts weekend birthday parties, picnics and charity runs is now a garbage dump. Well, those four toughed it out, but I opted to run up to Eglinton and across to Don Mills. I'm not breathing that sh*t into my lungs.

This week has been raining like mad. So I'm left wondering what the long term environmental impact will be from the runoff. Thanks Local 416 and David Miller.
BTW Ferguson and Miller, you're both gonna be toast so start looking for a new job.

No comments: