Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Kitchen project moving along

It's been a lot of small steps since inception but I've finally built and installed 3 drawers and made a nice pine countertop.

Originally I wanted a hard maple top but the cost wasn't worth it. Besides, after a few coats of maple stain it'll look just as good and wear just as well. In fact pine stains much nicer than maple.

The granite tile tops I've ordered should arrive after labour day. What's left?
- 4 more drawers
- Drawer fronts
- 6 custom 5 piece shaker-style doors (to be painted as well)
- Lighting.

I purchased a simple rail and stile bit set for building the doors. I made a test door frame out of pine and it turned out pretty good for a novice. The real doors will be milled from 3/4" mdf with a 1/2" mdf panel. The plan is to hand paint and sand them to a high quality sheen, at least that's the plan.

All in all a very fun project and coming along without too much wasted to stupid mistakes.

No comments: